Innovation is the primary power to promote development. China Unicom always places innovation in the core position of overall business development of the Company. In 2016, the Company comprehensively implemented "Internet +" action plan, sought for breakthrough in such new fields as cloud computing, big data and Internet of Things, focused on eight key industries to push forward industrial Internet development, actively promoted network evolvement and restructuring, innovated commercial mode for Internet enterprises, and vigorously advanced system and mechanism reform and management innovation. We also set up the "innovation and venture" platform, and provided powerful support to promote public venture and innovation.
Build Innovation System
Set up an "innovation and venture" platform
Under the guidance of the national strategy of innovation-driven development and "innovation and venture", the Company has established an "innovation and venture" system that focuses on its main business, is based on its innovative capability platform, centres on cooperation and mutual benefits, and is interconnected both internally and externally. It includes three core platforms:
- Internal innovation incubation platform: the Company launched a "WO Maker Plan", and set up special zones to support the ventures of employees relying on the open resources of the incubation platform. There were a total of 416 employee-initiated project applications in the first batch, among which 35 projects successfully entered incubators.
- External capital investment platform: the Company carried out external cooperation through a "incubation services + investment platform" mode established by China Unicom Innovation & Venture Investment Co., Ltd. Investments in 11 projects have been completed and settled, among which two have been listed on NEEQ, six have completed a new round of financing with unrealised gains of 1.5-9 times, and two have reached exits with an average annualised return of 100%;
- Open platform for innovative ability: various innovative resources were pooled together by the platform, which was fully open to social entrepreneurs. It greatly lowered innovation costs and provided support to public innovation.
Pave Way in Key Business Areas
China Unicom persists in innovation-driven development, continues to make endeavours in innovative businesses such as Internet of Things, cloud computing and big data, and achieves cross-over integration with traditional industries. Targeting the eight key fields of medical care, education, manufacturing, agriculture, environmental protection, tourism, transportation and logistics and public administration, China Unicom provides a lot of specialised and centralised information communication services with focuses on ten hot applications such as public e-services, education informatisation, auto informatisation, wearable equipment and mobile media, etc., making positive contribution to the implementation of the national "Internet+" action plan.
Expand new space of cloud computing/ IDC
China Unicom continuously bolters the resource investment and development in cloud computing, achieves improvement of cloud data/ IDC resource ability and platform development, and enhances fundamental core abilities such as management, research & development, innovation and cooperation, etc. Business volume doubled.
Establish "China Unicom Wo Cloud + Cloud Ecology Alliance"
China Unicom initiated to establish the "China Unicom Wo Cloud + Cloud Ecology Alliance" which is participated in by over 30 industrial leaders such as global chip manufacturers, hardware manufacturers, database vendors, software application service providers and integration service providers. This industry alliance aims to gather the edges and resources of each part in the cloud computing industry chain, build a complete cloud computing industry ecosystem, and promote prosperous development of cloud computing ecosphere in China. Meanwhile, the Company has pushed forward the upgrade of standards, industrial applications and industrial services in cloud computing.
Expand new space of big data
In 2016, China Unicom engaged in the promotion of big data sharing and open capability cooperation, and continuously deepened industrial applications and perfected its service system.
Launch big data products
China Unicom has announced personalised big data solutions in various industries such as transportation, finance, automobile and Internet, and will focus on applications in three main industries, namely tourism, advertising and transportation as well as "small data" personal applications targeting the general public. We will continue to provide full-range solutions to industries and individuals ranging from data collection, data mining to business operation leveraging more diversified products, more open platforms and better operating system, so as to help enterprises and the entire society to add new value.
Expand new space of Internet of Things
China Unicom takes Internet of things as a key area of development in its innovative strategy, and has made great efforts to develop the technology and applications of Internet of Things, so as to accelerate the establishment of an industrial system with international competitiveness, deepen the integrated development of Internet of Things and the economy and society, and provide support to the development of the country into a manufacturing and network superpower.
Develop the Internet of Things platform
China Unicom and Jasper, the global leader of Internet of Things platform, cooperated to build a world leading Internet of Things platform.
- We have built dedicated network elements and a dedicated platform for Internet of Things with nationwide M2M service support ability, and created a standardised, open and centralised Internet of Things operation and support system;
- We have adopted BIP over-the-air card activation technology in China. It can link a SIM card directly with worldwide operators, so as to truly enable "one point access and global deployment";
- With real-time network accessibility, self-diagnostic services and automatic engine, the platform can provide outstanding visibility and controllability. By monitoring equipment behaviour, setting up rules and real-time operation, it can actively prevent problems, and improve stability and reduce costs at the same time.
Research and develop all-in-one service solutions
Through cooperating with all parties in M2M industry chain, China Unicom has developed all-in-one Internet of Things service solutions, covering chips, modules and applications. The Company has launched, in cooperation with other parties, a platform for remote contracting management, and focused on developing a Global SIM service model. In conjunction with international operators, we have provided global Internet of Things solutions for multi-national clients in automobile, transportation, consumer electronics and engineering equipment. Meanwhile, we shortlisted candidates through centralised Internet of Things communication module tests, and formed a list of partners to build up our ability in communication modules service. In 2016, China Unicom had a total of 43 million Internet of Things connections. China Unicom’s Internet of Things M2M basic platform won the 2016 Internet of Things Solution Award by MIIT.
Expand new space of industrial Internet
China Unicom focuses on eight key industries, and plans to set up 16 bases. Each base conducts R&D on application products aiming at a certain industry. As of 2016, China Unicom had built seven product operation bases and nine product incubation bases, and has completed R&D of 56 products. Such bases have promoted over 219 projects in total. The number of base partners reached over 101, and an industrial alliance focused on the products of such bases is gradually formed.
- China Unicom won "Outstanding Contribution Award of the 16th China Education Informatisation Innovation & Development Forum" granted by the Ministry of Education.
- The "Internet + Logistics Localisation Project in Jilin" of China Unicom won "Third Prize of Science and Technology Progress Award" granted by China Federation of Logistics & Purchasing.
Internet + agriculture
Targeting problems such as low utilisation of agricultural machinery resources and difficult issuance and management of government subsidies, China Unicom has applied BeiDou Navigation Satellite System to Internet and agriculture and has developed the BeiDou Agricultural Machinery Informatisation Management Platform. Through this platform, the agricultural machinery terminal carries out positioning and data collection in respect of agricultural machinery and information is processed through the Internet of Things platform of China Unicom, so as to achieve refined management of positioning, dispatching and real-time measurement. It not only improves agricultural machinery operation efficiency greatly, but also helps the government more conveniently issue and manage subsidies.
Internet + tourism
China Unicom has launched a tourism big data platform, which shows the relevant information of domestic scenic spots through "scenic spot dashboard", "tourist source dashboard", "scenic spot analysis" and "tourist analysis", and serves scenic spot management and tourism marketing. The "Scenic spot dashboard" can show analytics such as scenic spots’ crowdedness and tourist flows, and mark the positions of scenic spots on a map. The "tourist source dashboard" can show tourist source information at national, provincial and scenic spot levels in real time. "Scenic spot analysis" can show information on food, hotel, transportation, sightseeing, shopping and entertainment in the region through analysis of popular keywords and tourists’ Internet behaviour. "Tourist analysis" provides analytics by tracking tourists’ travel routes, their APP usage and where they stay.
Internet + medical care
China Unicom Smart Medical Care Cloud Platform adopts the mode of "Internet + hospital alliance + doctors" to disseminate medical resources, and provide higher quality, more convenient and safer medical care services to the public. The platform can provide medical assistance services for medical institutions, provide early warning services in respect of medical regulation and decision making for healthcare authorities, provide services to patients such as health consultation, making doctor appointments and report inquiry, and provide services to doctors such as two-way and transparent referral, mobile doctor consultation, medical coordination and information exchange among doctors. The medical cloud platform has also launched cloud image system, which may receive medical image reports such as ultrasonic and ECG examination reports, and allow real time inquiries. Through mobile terminals, doctors can conduct remote diagnosis based on such medical images.
Internet + environmental protection
China Unicom and Institute of Atmospheric Physics, China Academy of Sciences has signed a strategic cooperation agreement, whereby the two parties established strategic partnership in air pollution forecast and early warning model, air pollution intensity monitoring, environmental protection big data and value-added services, and nuclear pollution forecast model, for the purpose to increase the informatisation level for air pollution management, and thus provide scientific technology and information services for environmental protection and treatment in China.
Internet + education
In 2016, China Unicom made a great breakthrough in the education informatisation industry, and in total acquired 2.275 million mobile users, increasing by 120% year-on-year. 3iKids APP served 20,000 kindergartens. 3iKids WO card mobile users reached 888,000. Class-Access covered 301,000 classes, and mobile users of everyone-access cards reached 1.038 million. China Unicom is honoured by the Ministry of Education as the "only operator which systematically provided informatisation solutions in the main battlefield of education in China".
Internet + public administration
China Unicom, based on a series of new technology applications such as mobile Internet, cloud computing, big data and Internet of Things, has launched a series of new "Internet + public administration" industrial application products, covering smart fire control, food traceability, safety mobile phone, ocean access, Internet of videos and Lanxin. These public administration industrial applications will bring innovation to the government’s service mode, improve scientific decision making ability and management capability of the government, and effectively improve the government’s working efficiency and service ability.
Internet + transportation
Through its subsidiary Zhiwang Technology Co., Ltd., China Unicom provides differentiated products and comprehensive services for auto industry customers, mainly including information services, platform operation, call centres, online stores, content services and ICT. In the OEM market, the Company integrated auto manufacturers’ original supply chains. In the aftermarket, the Company promoted a bundled service mode combining "platform + hardware + data + operating service". For new energy vehicles, the Company promoted comprehensive services combining "vehicle monitoring platform + data + storage + operating service" in leveraging the state’s policy on mandatory monitoring of new energy vehicles. In the vertical industry market, the Company focused on the key fields such as bus rental, online taxi appointment and industry fleet management, and provided comprehensive solutions for vertical industries. In 2016, Zhiwang Technology Co., Ltd. cooperated with 38 international and domestic auto manufacturers.
- Zhiwang Technology Co., Ltd. of China Unicom won "Best China Telematics Enterprise of the Year" Award granted by the Society of Automotive Engineers and Telematics@China Organising Committee
- Zhiwang Technology Co., Ltd. of China Unicom won "Innovation Award of China Internet of Vehicles" granted by Internet of Vehicles Conference
Internet + manufacture
Targeting manufacturing enterprises, China Unicom brings its network coverage advantages into full play, and provides safe and reliable communication modules and fast and stable networking ability to help enterprises carry out Internet-based online value added services such as early warning for malfunctions, remote maintenance, quality diagnosis and remote process optimisation, so as to increase product value.
Help "Smart City" construction
In 2016, China Unicom launched a series of application solutions covering industry, agriculture, medical care, tourism, communication and services leveraging new technology applications such as mobile Internet, Internet of Things, big data and cloud computing, so as to provide powerful support to "Smart City" construction and the development of digital economy.
Improve ICT ability
- Integrated implementation ability: relying on its communication network, China Unicom has set up a "grand integration" service system and developed an integrated implementation framework serving key national projects;
- Application development ability: China Unicom has set up an R&D system combining basic R&D in the head office and application R&D in various bases;
- Service outsourcing ability: China Unicom has optimised the development of its outsourcing support system, improved automated monitoring and onsite inspection capability, set up a unified operation and maintenance command system based on ITSM (IT service management), and explored how to establish a service outsourcing system which meets the requirements of IAAS (infrastructure as a service) and PAAS (platform as a service).